An Ultimate Guide: How to Clean a Mattress
A clean mattress is essential for better sleep and good health. But, if your bed contains harmful contaminants such as dust mites, bacteria, stains, spills, and germs, it looks terrible, and nobody likes to sleep there. So if you want to keep your mattress clean, use these ideas of mattress cleaning, which can make your bed hygienic.
One of the crucial pieces of the bedroom furniture set is a Mattress. Many people spend a lot of time cleaning bed sheets and pillowcases, but they need to remember about mattress cleaning. No matter how well you wash your bed sheets, pillowcases, and other things that cover a mattress, you will never be able to get peaceful sleep without cleaning your mattress, and this is why it is crucial to know how to clean a mattress.
Below are some ideas that can make your mattress cleaning process easy and keep your mattress clean, fresh, and odorless for a long time.
Wash all items that cover a mattress:
Before starting your mattress cleaning process, removing bed sheets, pillowcases, and other items that cover a mattress are the first things you need to do. After removing mattress covers and other items from your mattress, you should wash them in hot water or a washing machine to eliminate dirt and bacteria.
Vacuum the mattress:
After removing bed sheets and mattress covers from your mattress, you should remove any microorganisms that live in your mattress. The presence of food crumbs and any other dirt, dust mites, and germs on your bed can cause reactions and irritations in your body. You can use a hand vacuum cleaner or the brush-attached vacuum cleaner to get rid of these.
Vacuum every side of your mattress with the help of the soft brush attachment. You can also use a crevice attachment to remove any micro dust mites, grim particles, and other icky stuff in the hidden area of your mattress.
Mattress spot cleaning:
Once you’ve finished vacuuming, check for any spots or stains on your mattress. Stains and spills are everyday things that happen on beds due to sweat, pets, or food. But do not let stains sink in on your mattress, as it can ruin the overall appearance of your mattress. Before removing any stain from your bed, you must check the instructions on the mattress label so that you can know which detergents you should use.
Generally, a mattress acquires three types of stains: sweat, tea, or coffee. If you think removing stains on your mattress is difficult, use these methods to quickly remove different colors from a mattress. How you use it depends on the stains you have on your bed.
If you have a fresh stain, then it is easy to remove it from your mattress. You must mix liquid dish soap and little water and apply this mixture to a stained area. Take a clean cloth and wipe it to remove any excess liquid. This method of mattress cleaning works well on an innerspring mattress.
Your body’s sweat produces yellow stains on your mattress. Removal of sweat stains and their smell is difficult, but you can make it easy by using these methods
- Make a cleaning solution by combining two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, and 3 tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl.
- Apply this cleaning solution to the affected area only with the help of a wet cloth.
- Keep rubbing in a circular motion until the stain starts to fade.
- Once the stain has been removed, take a clean cotton cloth and wipe it in a damp area.
- After this procedure, dry your mattress naturally to remove moisture.
- Make a cleaning solution by combining two tablespoons of lemon juice and one tablespoon salt in a bowl. The acidic characteristic of lemon will quickly remove sweat stains and leave a fresh smell on your mattress.
- Stir the solution well until the salt is melted.
- Apply it in the area which contains stains.
- Rub that area using a smooth brush.
- Repeat this procedure until the stain is gone.
Tea or coffee stains
Tea or coffee stains are easy to come and hard to go from your mattress. Use the following method for the removal of tea or coffee stains.
- Make a cleaning solution by mixing two tablespoons of warm water and 1 tablespoon of distilled white vinegar.
- Blot the paper absorbent towels in this and rub it on the stained area.
- Repeat this process till the tea or coffee stains disappear from your mattress.
- Finally, dry your bed using a fan or wet-dry vacuum
If you cannot put your mattress outside in the fresh air and want to get rid of the dirty odor, then you should sprinkle a small amount of baking soda on the top surface of your mattress.
For best results, allow the baking soda to sit on your bed for at least 2 hours. Vacuum the mattress again to remove all small particles of the baking soda. Baking soda is a natural deodorizer that can easily absorb odors from your bed and make it fresh.
Remove mold and mildew:
While doing mattress cleaning, you should be aware of mold and mildew on your mattress. Removing mold and mildew as soon as you notice them growing on your bed is better because it can cause allergic reaction problems.
Prevent your mattress from getting damaged by using the following method.
- Pour a mixture of one cup of rubbing alcohol with one cup of warm water into a bowl.
- Use a dry cloth and dip it into the bowl.
- Wring out the fabric, so the material is damp but not wet completely.
- Smoothly rub that cloth on the entire surface of your mattress to kill mold spores.
- After this process, Keep your mattress outside and let it dry entirely because molds grow more in moist environments.
Remove bacteria and germs:
After you have finished the mattress cleaning process, allow your mattress to dry outside in the sunlight. This is the best way to eliminate germs, bacteria, and dust mites from your mattress. It also prevents any accumulating moisture that can lead to mold.
Removing Bed Bugs:
Generally, nasty bugs are not found on your mattress in the initial phase, but if you don’t do the mattress cleaning after a long duration, it gets into your mattress and slowly spread in bedding, blankets, and pillows. Sleeping on a mattress where bed bugs live in seams and crevices is uncomfortable. Wash all items that cover a mattress in warm water to eliminate bed bugs.
A mattress is an essential item you should have to clean frequently because if you do the mattress cleaning process for a short time, then your mattress can become the dwelling place of harmful bacteria, germs, dust mites, fungus, and even mildew. It also leads to serious health problems and diseases. Use these ideas for mattress cleaning to keep your mattress in good condition.